Monday, June 4, 2012

Unicorn


My daughter has a birthday this summer so today I decided I had better start working on some of her presents in order to get them all done before the big day.

If you would like to make your own for your own darling daughter/granddaughter or yourself. Here is the pattern.
Unicorn Pattern:

Body
Use medium weight white yarn and an f hook
sc5 in the magic circle loop
Rnd1: 2sc in each sc around (10)
Rnd2: *sc1, 2sc in next sc* repeat around (15)
Rnd3: *sc2, 2sc in next sc* repeat around (20)
Rnd4: *sc3, 2sc in next sc* repeat around (25)
Rnd5-16: sc around (25)
Stuff as you go.
Rnd17: *decrease, sc3* repeat around (20)
Rnd18: *decrease, sc2* repeat around (15)
Rnd19: *decrease, sc1* repeat around (10)
Rnd20: decrease around (5) Sew up  hole.

Ears (make two)
Use same white yarn as you used for the body and an f hook
sc5 in the magic circle loop
Rnd1: 2sc in each sc around (10)
Rnd2: *sc1, 2sc in next sc* repeat around (15)
Cut thread and leave a tail for sewing onto the head.

Head
Use same white yarn as you used for the body and an f hook
sc5 in the magic circle loop
Rnd1: 2sc in each sc around (10)
Rnd2: *sc1, 2sc in next sc* repeat around (15)
Rnd3-12: sc around (15)
Add safety eyes and sew on ears by pinching them in half and sewing one edge one row of stitching from the edge of where you are crocheting round 12. Stuff head as you go.
Rnd13: *decrease, sc1* repeat around (10)
Rnd14: decrease around (5) Sew up hole and sew head to the body.

Legs (make four)
Start with yellow/gold yarn for the feet and use an f hook
sc5 in the magic circle loop
Rnd1: 2sc in each sc around (10)
Rnd2: sc around back loops only (10)
Switch to same white you used for the body.
Rnd3-12: sc around (10)
Cut thread and leave a tail to sew to the body. I stuffed the legs very stiffly to hold the body up well (if it is still floppy you could do something for the legs like I did with my Italian Greyhound pattern). Sew legs to the body.

Horn
Use the same yellow/gold you used for the bottom of the legs. Use an f hook.
sc6 in the magic circle loop
Rnd1-2: sc around (6)
Rnd3: decrease, sc4 (5)
Rnd4: sc around (5)
Cut thread and sew up the hole by adding several stitches to make a point in the horn. This part is hard to write as a pattern. Give  yourself a few tries until you get the perfect horn point.. Sew the horn to the head. I only stuffed it lightly with the excess yarn ends.

Hair (make four of each color: purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, and pink) Use an f hook.
Make a length of ch stitches
Starting in the 2nd ch from the hook sc2 in each ch this will make the hair curl. You can decide how long you want the hairs to be by varying the length of the chain. My longest hair was a chain of 25 and my shortest was a chain of 8.

Candy Chrisope (from Meladora's Creations) made a three part series of videos on how to make the unicorn. It is wonderfully done. If you need further help with the pattern there are both right and left handed versions. I suggest you watch the video series to see how she did it, here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlfN1EjIXcK9GzgtGFyeJeNMPKE6FnAcS


 

20 comments:

  1. Adorable! I really love the way you did the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fantastic! Lucky little girl. Thanks for sharing your pattern with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute for words, personally I think yours is cuter. Thanks so much for sharing the pattern. My little girl will love it. I have a free Jelly Fish pattern if interested; http://www.craftsy.com/user/181255/pattern-store

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute for words, personally I think yours is cuter. Thanks so much for sharing the pattern. My little girl will love it. I have a free Jelly Fish pattern if interested; http://www.craftsy.com/user/181255/pattern-store

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you


    sheepdogs for sale

    ReplyDelete
  6. *squeeee*
    ooohhh! ima make a Rainbow Dash!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fantastic crochet unicorn! I immediately started to make one with intentions of giving it to my daughter tomorrow for Christmas, but I have other Santa related duties tonight and unfortunately I won't be able to get it finished before then.

    Oh well, it will make a great, "Just because I love you," gift.

    Thanks for making this a free pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do like I have done since my children were youngm give the item as a special gift for New Years Eve or New Years Day...it rounds of Christmas nicely but also allows for things not being ready or not arriving in time.

      Delete
  8. Hope you get this comment, since this post is six months old, but this and your other projects are so cute! I am new"ish" to crochet, a little over a year, and have discovered it is now an obsession. I've been discovering such fun things on the internet and your stuff is some of the cutest. Thanks for sharing your talent and your patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love them! I will have a go! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. My youngest loves "My Little Pony" and is going to adore these. Thank you for sharing your pattern with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. 12mm. With my other pony patterns the eyes are 9mm and I like the smaller better though. I wish I had used them for the unicorn.

      Delete
  12. Hi! I REALLY love your unicorn! Its so cute! Im trying to make my own and the pattern is very easy, but do you have a trick to sew the legs straight on the body? I try it so many times but the legs show always in all ways. :( I hope you understand my englisch. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it helps to pin the legs in place before sewing. I sew the front legs close together and then position the back legs really carefully to make sure they line up. If you stuff them with a dowel or a pencil they stay stiff and in position. It is harder with just cotton batting. I hope that translates well. Good luck.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for sharing this beautiful unicorn 😍

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi. Im wondering if it would be okay with the pattern author to sell items made from this pattern?

    ReplyDelete