Thursday, October 27, 2011

Owl Ornament


I have been busy lately working on my book so I apologize for the long absence. To make up for the silence I have decided to try a Pinterest Challenge. I picked an inspiration photo from my crochet file on Pinterest.


I thought these animal ornaments might be fun to crochet. The original inspiration is from etsy seller RedMarionette.

Here is my version of the owl:


Use an F/5-3.75MM hook throughout
Rnd 1: 5sc in a circle
Rnd 2: 2sc in each sc around (10)
Rnd 3: *sc1 then 2sc in next sc* repeat around (15)
Rnd 4: *sc2 then 2sc in next sc* repeat around (20)
Rnd 5: *dc in front loop of next stitch, tc in same stitch, dtc (double treble stitch) in same stitch, tc in next stitch front loop only, dc in same stitch* (all in front loop only), sc in next stitch front loop only, then repeat between * for next two front loops, sc15 (20)
Rnd 6: sc around, making stitches behind forehead peaks using the left over back loops and continue around (20)
Rnd 7-8: sc around (20)
Rnd 9: *decrease, sc2* repeat around (15)
Make eyes (see below), use safety eyes to put through white layer and green layer and attach. Sew on beak and stuff as you go.
Rnd 10-13: sc around (15)
Rnd 14: *decrease, sc1* repeat around (10)
Rnd 15: decrease around (5) seal up hole and hide ends

Eyes (make 2)
Rnd 1: 5sc in a circle
Rnd 2: 2sc in each sc around (10) sl st next st

Wings (make 2)
Rnd 1: 7sc in a circle
Rnd 2: sc3, 2sc in next 3 stitches, sc1 (10)
Rnd 3: sc2, 2sc in next 4 stitches, sc4 (14)
Cut thread, leave tail, sew to body. Add a little string to hang on the tree.

Update: I've had a request for more pictures, so here you go. Also a clarification. The horns will look close together but it is because they are. They are kindof like a uni-brow :) The wings are only three rounds, don't worry they are just the right size. I hope these help. Enjoy the bird.

18 comments:

  1. So cute! I think my Grand Daughter MUST have one of these! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww! he's so cute-- i'm so glad that you shared this sweet pattern. :) thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made one of these guys - super fun and pretty easy, too! Thanks for sharing. I'm curious which size hook you used? I used 5.5m and I think mine came out bigger than yours looks. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used an F/5-3.75MM hook. I should have included it in the pattern. I will update it. I am glad you liked him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you have the full pattern from start to finish? This pattern seen something missing. I mean chain how many, how many sc and how to form into a owl. It make me blur after i read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana all of my patterns are formed by spiral. You start with a magic circle and keep working around, marking each round with a stitch marker. Look at my pattern helps tab on the top of my blog for videos on how to do the magic circle. The owl will form as you go and you stuff it along the way. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel, I'm getting stuck on round for. As I read it, on round 3, it says to single crochet in first stitch then two single crochets in next stitch, alternating until the round is finished. I get 15 stitches, which is what your pattern says. But on round 4, I'm reading it as two single crochets in first stitch and two single crochets in second stitch (putting two single crochets in each stitch). If I do this, it creates 30 stitches but your pattern calls for 20. Am I reading this wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  8. On round four *you sc in next two stitches and then do 2 sc in the third stitch* and then you repeat between the * all the way around (20)
    I hope that makes it a little clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am having problems with round five which I assume are the horns of the owl. They seem too close or is it that way?

    Are there images to see this step. I am very visual and loved this owl to make as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the wings seem too small... do they really have 3 rnds? :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carmen and Alina I have updated the pattern with more pictures. I hope they help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you! they do help! I was about to put its eyes on the wrong side of the head lol.
    Nice pattern! Can't wait to finish it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you stuff it really firm? Mine is only lightly stuffed. I don't know if that helps.

    ReplyDelete