Friday, October 15, 2010

Signing with Crochet


Sometimes I think I am way too addicted to crochet.

Use an f hook.
Hand:
Rnd 1: sc 6 in a circle
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around (12)
Rnd 3: *sc 1 then sc 2 in next st*, repeat around (18)
Rnd 4: *sc 2 then sc 2 in next st*, repeat around (24)
Rnd 5: *sc 3 then sc 2 in next st*, repeat around (30)
Rnd 6-10: sc around (30)
Rnd 11: *decrease then sc 6*, repeat three times then sc 4 (26)
Rnd 12: sc around (26)
Rnd 13: *decrease sc 11*, repeat (24)
Rnd 14: sc around (24)
Rnd 15: *sc 2, decrease*, repeat around (18)
Rnd 16: *sc 1, decrease*, repeat around (12)
Rnd 17-21: sc around (12)
Stuff very lightly

Thumb:
Rnd 1: sc 5 in a circle
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around (10)
Rnd 3-9: sc around (10) cut thread

Fingers:
Rnd 1: sc 4 in a circle
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around (10)
Rnd 3-9 sc around (10) cut thread for pinkie or keep going for other fingers.

Rnd 10-13: sc around (10) cut thread for index finger or keep going for other fingers.

Rnd 14: sc around (10) cut thread for ring finger or keep going for last finger.

Rnd 15: sc around (10) cut thread for middle finger.
I didn't stuff any of the fingers or the thumb.

Sew pieces together. Sew middle two fingers down to hand. You could put in on a stick to wave it around. I decided I wanted it framed.

Update: I decided to reframe my hand. I had an old broken clock so I took out the clock parts and the glass and cut a circle of fabric and cardstock. I sewed the hand to the fabric and glued the fabric to the cardstock and then I put it into the clock frame. It goes great in my round frame gallery. I envision it being a cute decoration for Valentine's day with red fabric.

7 comments:

  1. This is fabulous - very well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is wonderful, thank you for posting. I just found you via pinterest and love several of our patterns... will post again if i actually finish one (I love to start projects but never seem to find time to finish if i put it down)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing! My sister is in the army and I was searching for something cool to make and send to her since I learned to crochet a few months ago. I found this and it was just perfect - she has a degree in communication sciences and disorders and sign language is very important to her. Starting it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete